Thursday, April 22, 2010

Math DOESN'T Suck

Contrasting my first posted video, this more serious one caught my eye. It's about a girl, Danica McKellar, who is a famous actress in hit shows like "How I Met Your Mother", is interviewed by Jim Clash. As well as being an actress, Danica is also a math major at UCLA. The part I find most interesting is that she wrote a book called "Math Doesn't Suck". It's written for girls in about middle school who would rather be reading a teen magazine than doing their math homework.

The book let's girls know that math isn't as hard as people say. I think that everyone thinks of math is really difficult just because of preconceived notion. Especially in middle school I could see how this would be a good book to have been written. In middle school, kids want to do what's "cool" or what is said to be easy. From the beginning, people have thought math to be only for geniuses so I guess that just kind of stuck. The book by Danica is about how if you take it step by step, math isn't so bad. It's totally doable.

Danica McKellar started out being an actress and then started taking classes at UCLA. She enrolled in a mathematics course and excelled. A guy behind her one day tapped her on the shoulder and recognized her as the girl from TV and the girl that had the best grade in the math class. He conversed with her about it. That's when she decided that math was her calling. I wish that an occurrence like that would happen so that I know mathematics is what I do or don't want to study. I want an epiphany about math.

I like how Danica can have so many different abilities and have a career for all of them. I kind of want to have a life like hers. She gets to help people through her writings, entertain people on TV and in movies, and even be student in a field that she enjoys. Since I want to continue playing my cello, but not as a major, I think that it will be the equivalent to her being in movies. It's my own special way of entertaining myself and sometimes others (even though orchestra music is usually boring). I thoroughly enjoy playing and improving my skills.

Not many people think that movie stars are good at anything other than acting. Danica definitely isn't a typical person of this generalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment