Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Flying is Way Overrated

In their sleep, many people have dreams of flying. There are different interpretations on why these dreams are had. People that have flying dreams usually wish that they could fly in real life. I, on the other hand, would rather not fly. If I could have one "superpower", I would want the ability to breathe underwater.

So, what's this have to do with math? Well, I believe that in order to fully understand mathematics, one must have perspective. One must be able to think outside the box and not follow the crowd. That's me. I was thinking the other day about how everyone would want to fly but I was thinking of things of why I don't want fly and tried to relate it to math.

For several reasons, I would rather not fly like everyone else wants to do. First of all, we (humans) already have the ability to fly in airplanes. If you think about it, flying in an airplane is basically the same thing as flying freely other than you wouldn’t be in the crisp, fresh air. In an airplane, you’re still in the sky, moving, and looking at the clouds. And you don't even need to flap your arms...

Second, if I could breathe underwater, I would be able to touch things like the aquatic animals and the plants. Flying in the sky, I wouldn't have anything to touch. Just the air.

Third, I just think it would be interesting to not just look but even be able to touch and swim along with underwater creatures. I could see and save animals caught in netting and other litter. In the sky, there's nothing to save, only things to look down upon from far away. Underwater you can see living things up close other than just birds.

Lastly, there's no real way to breathe underwater for long periods of time so if I could naturally just be able to breathe in the ocean, I definitely would do that rather than fly. Scuba diving tanks can run out of compressed air eventually so I'd like to just swim freely with out the heavy tank on my back.

Although dreams of flying are extremely loosely related to math, it's still something I think about and have perspective about while thinking outside the box, like mathematicians. Mathematicians must think of all possibilities for causes of problems in the world and must separate themselves from others' thinking and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment